Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Flowers Are Where?

Darren and I don't usually do a whole lot for Valentine's Day. We'll buy each other a card and a small gift, and go out to dinner. This year was going to be no different. This morning, we woke up and opened our presents from each other. I gave Darren a card and a new bike computer; he gave me some red Converse shoes (Yes, that IS what I really wanted) and a card. We got dressed, and went to work.

School was crazy, as it usually is on a holiday. The kids decorated bags yesterday for their Valentines, and we hung them from the marker tray below my board. Some of the kids put their cards and treats in each other's bags during homeroom this morning, and others waited until this afternoon. At lunch, a couple of mothers brought cookies and cupcakes. During dismissal, each student got his or her bag, and commenced eating LOTS of junk. I also had a bag full of goodies from my students to take home. I was looking forward to going out to eat with Darren and Zach tonight.

After school, I picked Zach up and went to a friend's house to deliver some Creative Memories products she had ordered from me. On my way home, I called Darren. I noticed that he sounded funny, but just figured that he was tired. I guess he couldn't take it anymore, because he eventually asked me if I wanted to tell him thank you. I didn't know why, and said as much. He replied by asking if I had received anything at school today. I said I hadn't, and he asked me if I was joking. I assured him that I really was not joking, and he said that I should have received flowers. I was in meetings during any free time that I had today, and never went through the office. The secretaries never called and said that I had a delivery, either. I decided to call at school to see if there was anything waiting for me. When they didn't answer, I decided to turn around and go look for myself.

When I arrived at school, I met up with one of the counselors in the parking lot. She told me that she heard about my flowers. I didn't say anything, and went in the building, where I met up with one of the assistant principals. He explained to me that they had received a call from a funeral home in Conroe, where my flowers had arrived earllier today. The funeral home tried to call the florist, to no avail, so they then tried to reach me at school. The assistant principal informed me that the situation would take care of itself, so I decided to finally head home. On the way, I called Darren and told him the story, so he decided to try to call the florist.

When I got home, there was a voicemail message from my principal, asking me to call him on his cell phone. Nervously, I dialed the number. When he answered, he told me that he had a funny story for me, and I realized that he knew about the flower situation. He explained that he had spoken to the funeral home, and that I should appreciate the fact that my husband had tried to make such a nice gesture.

Darren arrived at home around 7:00 and told me that he had been unable to reach the florist, and had spoken to their cleaning crew. He is going to call them in the morning and ask for a refund. I would have liked to have gotten flowers today, but it's kind of pointless to get them tomorrow, and I'd rather us have the money instead. It was sweet of him to do that for me, because I rarely get flowers from him. I'd rather have something that is going to last, but it's still nice to be thought of.

After telephoning several restaurants and hearing about their ridiculously long wait times, we ended up at a local Japanese place. We all ate too much, and had a great time. I can't wait to get to school tomorrow and hear all of the stories about me and the flowers!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for visiting! I agree about getting something that will last but flowers are a nice thought. I guess it worked out that way for a reason? I hope you enjoyed your dinner.