Monday, July 25, 2005

When is the Weekend?

I know, it's only Monday, but I'm tired! We had an action-packed weekend, with not much relaxation thrown in. Darren stayed home on Friday, preventing me from doing my usual thing of sitting in front of the computer for hours. I used the time to finish the Harry Potter book. I know that opinions vary about this one, but I liked it better than the fifth one, and thought that she did a good job of leading into the final book. Friday evening, we took Zach to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I liked it much better than the first movie, since it had less songs and was more closely related to the book. Darren was disappointed that the Oompa-Loompa song wasn't in this version.

Saturday, we had a barbecue for my sorority alumnae chapter. After two months of planning, we only managed to have five members show up, but we did have a lot of fun. It was hot, and I consumed massive amounts of liquid, but it wasn't unbearably hot. If the camera batteries hadn't died, I'd have pictures. The only downside to the afternoon was the flies. I think that every fly in the state of Texas converged on Creekwood Park that afternoon! I'm glad I had some Ziploc bags to store all of the food in. Those flies were vicious! Besides swatting flies, Zach and I spent a while feeding the ducks and fish in the pond nearby. Fish sure like hot dogs! Zach had another little boy to play with, so they ran around and did little-boy things, like poking sticks in the mud at the edge of the pond.

After four hours at the park, we decided that we needed to go swimming. So, we hauled everything home, changed into bathing suits, and headed for a pool. There are 12 public pools where we live, but this one is the best. It's round, is about 2 feet deep, and in the middle of it is a structure with slides and fountains. Off to the side is a ten-foot-wide slide that Zach loves to go down. When we go there, Darren and I get to sit in the water while Zach runs around and does his thing. Too bad it's always crowded...

We had Zach snoring on the couch by 9:00 that night. It was so exciting, because he rarely gives in before 11:00. That child does not need sleep! He doesn't nap, and every evening starts out with Darren and I being hopeful that this will be the night that we get him to sleep without a fight. We give him a bath, read stories, and tuck him into bed. Usually, before we can make it downstairs, we hear his door open, and there is a request for another hug, water, or to use the potty. He is a master, and can make this go on forever. Taking away toys does not deter him, nor does a spanking. He is determined to delay bedtime and come downstairs! The fight generally ends with Darren and I begging for mercy, and one of us passing out in his bed. He'll wonder why he is an only child...Anyway, Saturday night, Darren and I were able to watch an entire movie, eat ice cream, and not have anyone climbing on us. What bliss!

Yesterday wasn't as exciting as Saturday. I folded laundry, Darren went rock-climbing at the YMCA, and Zach played in his pool in the backyard. We watched too much Scooby-Doo, and Zach went to bed at 11:30. I guess he's trying not to spoil us!

No comments:

Post a Comment