Monday, February 16, 2009

Sunday Night Update

I think I'll follow my sister and try to at least update once a week. I'll get back to posts with pictures as soon as my computer and camera resolve their differences. It's probably the fact that I have almost 5 gigabytes of pictures on my computer. iPhoto runs a little slow these days...

Anyway, I took my first microbiology test last Tuesday. I thought it had gone really well, because I really like the professor and feel like I am learning a lot in her class. However, I was disappointed in my grade. At least it was a point above the class average, and 25 points above the lowest grade. I have my first lab practical in that class Tuesday, and I need to spend some serious time studying for it tomorrow. I'll have both kids home with me, and Darren has an evening meeting, so we'll see how that goes.

My pharmacology class still has not progressed. All we are doing in that class is reading some online content and taking quizzes. You can take the quizzes as many times as you want, but I still cannot get my grades to where I want them. I copy and paste the quizzes into a blank Word document, then try to look up the answers. I don't understand how I am getting some of the grades that I am, since I am able to prove most of the answers. I think it's time to get back to reading and outlining the textbook. We're supposed to have a test sometime soon, and I am dreading it. We're trying to talk the professor into having it be a take-home test. She's not very good at communication, and I will be happy to leave this class with a C. I thought about dropping it and taking it again this summer, but it's the same professor. I may as well muddle through it.

I finally bit the bullet and took my HESI test on Thursday. This test is computerized, and it is a measurement of reading comprehension and basic math skills. The scores from this test make up a third of the scoring for entrance to the nursing program. I was shocked when I did better on the math than reading, since I taught reading for so long. Now that the test is behind me, I am ready to apply for the nursing program. I just have to wait for my HESI scores to be added to my online profile, and I'll be ready to go. The deadline is March 2nd, and we will find out in April. I am applying for the program at four schools, and hopefully I'll get into the one here in The Woodlands. If I don't get in, I guess it's back to teaching for me.

Zachary lost two teeth this week, so the Tooth Fairy has been busy around here. She comes at a high price; $5 plus a pack of bubble gum. She'll be arriving at our house later this evening...

Cub Scouts is going fairly well. Zachary's den meetings have been lasting well past the hour they are scheduled for, and Zoe has gotten harder to watch in them, so I am becoming one of those mothers who drop their son off. I hate to do it, but Darren is now going in to work on Thursdays, so I can't leave Zoe with him. I am doing better at not taking on additional responsibilities within the pack, and am looking forward to giving up the committee chair position soon. I don't know when I get to do that; I'm thinking May. I just have to find someone to chair the spring camping trip, spring recruitment, and the end of the year party. Plus, there has to be a replacement for me. Let's hope that happens!

We spent a quiet Valentine's weekend at home. Since finances are extremely tight these days, there were no lavish gifts exchanged, nor was there a romantic dinner for two. Instead, we started the day with heart-shaped pancakes, exchanged cards and gifts (boxes of candy for the boys and me, a stuffed dog for Zoe), watched a movie in our jammies, then went and drove to Town Center. We walked around the waterway, visited the new fancy grocery store there, then went and bought dinner ingredients at our normal store. We came home and grilled steak and potatoes, ate a yummy chocolate dessert, put the kids to bed, watched a movie, and I fell asleep on the couch. Today, we did some laundry and went for a bike ride. I spent a few hours working on schoolwork, and am heading to bed soon.

This is going to be a pretty boring week. I am off work tomorrow and school Thursday, so I am only going to send Zoe to daycare on Tuesday and Wednesday. We are heading to Lafayette on Friday for the weekend, and I can't wait! We haven't been since Thanksgiving, and haven't seen my parents in over two months. We're going to see a couple of Mardi Gras parades and hopefully meet up with some friends. I think the cat is going with us, because I don't want to leave him and have something happen to him. I hope the weather is nice; it's been so strange around here lately.

Good night...


  1. Oh where oh where is pedal on the right? It's her Spring break. We would love an update and pictures! :-)

  2. I'll get there, I promise. Can't disappoint my one fan!