Monday, May 18, 2009

Where Did May Go?

Wow, it's hard to believe we are already over halfway through May! It's flying by for me, which is not necessarily a good thing.

I survived finals, and ended up with an A in pharmacology and B in microbiology. I'm glad to put those classes behind me, but wish I had learned more in pharmacology. It's not that I didn't try, but rather that our professor did not motivate us to learn. I am sure that will come back to haunt me sometime later in my nursing career.

Finals week did have some extra excitement for us. We got an automated phone call and email from Zachary's school the afternoon of the 3rd to let us know that his school was closed, due to three suspected cases of swine flu. My boss didn't want me going in to work on Monday, because I had volunteered at the school the previous Friday afternoon. After two days at home, Zachary was bored, but starting to think of things to do. We got a phone call Tuesday afternoon to let us know that school was reopening the next day, and a really disappointed little boy went off to school on Wednesday. We ended up being the only school in the district that ended up closing, and there was never any more information about the suspected cases.

I am excited about nursing school, but nervous about all that I have to do this summer in preparation. I have orientation June 3rd, so I will get some more concrete details then. What I know so far is that I have to get several vaccinations, a physical, and bloodwork, take a drug test, be fingerprinted, and take CPR for healthcare providers. According to my friends who have already had their orientation, we have to get one of our textbooks this summer and read it before the fall classes start. I also have to buy the uniform scrubs, a stethoscope, and white nursing shoes. There are so many expenses already, and I am only working for two more weeks. Ouch!

Speaking of work, I am sad that the school year is ending for me this week in preschool. I really did enjoy it, and will miss the kids next year. I could have done a much better job next year, since I now know what to expect. I guess it's something to fall back on if nursing doesn't work out for me. I would like to find something to do this summer, but whatever I would do, I would end up having to pay for childcare for the kids, so that is that much extra that I would have to make. It's so frustrating! I wish I could find something that I could do at home to make some extra money.

I am planning to apply at the local hospital after I complete the fall semester of school. There is a PSN, or Professional Student Nurse position. It's a good way to get my foot in the door and meet people at the hospital in advance of graduation. It will be interesting to see how I will juggle the time to work.

I had a really nice Mothers' Day. We slept late, then Darren cooked breakfast. After Zoe napped, we went to the Mercer Arboretum and walked around there for a while. It was hot, and Zoe can't take the heat, so we didn't stay much longer than an hour. Afterward, we went to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. Darren cooked steak for dinner, and we watched the finale of the Amazing Race. It was a really nice day!

This past week was kind of a wash, because Zoe was sick. She was not feeling well going into the weekend, but there were no definite symptoms. Monday, she went to school and I went to work. She came home and took a second nap, because she was so cranky. Tuesday, she woke up cranky, and I kept her home and took her to the doctor. The diagnosis was a cold. Wednesday, I got a call from daycare just as I was leaving work that Zoe had a fever of 102.5. She cried most of the night, and we went back to the doctor Thursday, where the diagnosis changed to a sinus infection, and we were given antibiotics. That night, the fever continued, she didn't sleep again, and was up at 5:00. Friday, she didn't nap except for two 20-minute periods where she laid on me and snored. Around 10:30, I noticed blood around her mouth, but couldn't see anything suspicious. Off to the doctor we went again, and they noticed a scratch on one of her tonsils. She already wasn't eating, so that made the situation worse. Yesterday, we could tell that Zoe felt a little better, and she took a nap. This morning, she slept until 10:30 after sleeping through the night, then took a two-hour nap. Let's hope she's on the mend, especially since I have managed to stay up so late!

It's always so nice to have the whole summer stretching out in front of me. I hope to be more organized with our time this summer, and not sit around the house watching TV. We are going to buy pool passes, and Zach is going to an art camp at the college for two weeks. I am considering Kindermusik for Zoe, and I have lots of projects that I want to do around the house. The more I get organized, the easier our lives will be in the fall. I just want to get to a point where the house is clean enough that I don't feel guilty getting out my scrapbook stuff, or some other fun thing.

That's enough rambling for one night. Off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment