Friday, November 09, 2007

What a Day!

I knew today was going to be hectic, but I had no idea to what extent it would be. I had a 9:00 appointment with my chiropractor, so I set my alarm for 7:00. I hit snooze until almost 7:30, which was a feat, considering I had to roll across the bed and reach over the sleeping baby to hit the button on my clock. I don't know what I did until 8:00, when I began sitting next to the phone, waiting to hear if my sister passed her National Board Certification (she did!). After she called at 8:10, I took a shower, got dressed, dressed the baby, fed her, gathered up an extra bottle, my camera, the diaper bag, and a library book. I managed to leave the house at 8:52 and fly to my appointment.

When I left the chiropractor, I stopped and got breakfast at Chick-Fil-A, then went to the library. Zoe fell asleep on the way there, so I allowed myself ten whole minutes to look for books. I found five, checked out, and climbed back into the car. I then drove all the way across town to my 10:30 appointment with my OB. She did all the usual post-partum things to me, I visited with everyone in the office, took a picture of Dr. Johnson holding Zoe, gave Zoe a bottle, and left there around 11:15. I don't get to see them again until April, which makes me sad. Again, the unnatural attachment to my doctor...

Our learning community at school was having a special luncheon today for the students who made all E's in conduct, so I decided it was as good a time as any to go by and show the students Zoe. I had a hard time making it from the door to the library at school, because I kept getting stopped by both students and teachers who wanted to look at her. I ended up going to all four classrooms in our community so they could see Zoe, the front office, and the teachers' lounge. It took over an hour, but I am glad I went. Seeing all of my students, and how happy they were to see me, made me feel better about having to go back to work. I've been having some serious issues with that, and I get teary-eyed every time I think of having to leave Zoe with someone else.

I've been wanting to get out of teaching for a while, and this break has given me an opportunity to try to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. It's not that I really dislike teaching, it's all the paperwork and extra responsibilities that get thrown at us, and the lack of flexibility. I've always wanted to own my own business again, but I am not sure what exactly I'd want to have. I do know that it would be just about impossible to start something now, and still get to spend some time with my kids. Besides that, I've always wanted to go to culinary school. I don't want to work in a restaurant; maybe catering? Again, not a good choice with young children. Since I had such a good experience with Zoe's birth, and an unnatural attachment to my doctor, I briefly considered becoming a midwife, so I could work with her. I realized that I would have to become a nurse first, and my husband pointed out that I probably couldn't handle watching childbirth. I did find something promising, which would be to become a childbirth educator. All that is involved in that is reading some material and taking a test. I talked to Dr. Johnson about that today, and she said that I might be able to find some doctors who would allow me to conduct classes in their office. The hospital would rather someone with an RN. I also applied to be the person at the hospital who goes around and takes pictures of the babies. I really think I am being pulled in the direction of working with babies, but I am still not sure how. I am really hoping that this is my last year as a teacher, at least in public school. I could try private school, but I really want to work part-time, so that I can have more time for the kids, and more time to get things done around the house. I don't think I'm meant to stay at home all the time, because I wouldn't have enough social interaction with other grown-ups, and because we do need for me to bring in some money.

After that amazing tangent, here's the rest of my day: I left school, went to Michael's and bought a Cub Scout scrapbook for Zach (another scrapbook to keep up with; I must be crazy!), then came home. I spent some time cleaning up, but didn't accomplish enough, and when it was just about time for Zach to get home, I started getting phone calls, and one of his friends came by to see if he could play. When Zach did get home, I took him to ride his bike around the cul-de-sac next to our house, then two friends came to play. Darren brought home Raising Cane's, and we are taking it easy tonight. This weekend, we plan to work in our yard, and we have a block party on Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates. It was almost 80 degrees here today. My air conditioner is running right now. Craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment