Sunday, January 27, 2008

Slacker

I feel like such a slug lately! I think the yucky weather has gotten to me, and the fact that I've been feeling bad due to bronchitis probably doesn't help. I have gotten really bad at returning e-mails, making phone calls, and acknowledging birthdays. I probably need to get some exercise, but I don't know when I'd find the time. We don't get home until after 5:00 during the week, and if we don't have Cub Scouts or somewhere else to go, we have to do Zach's homework, have dinner, and get everything ready for the next day. I certainly am not getting up earlier in the morning to exercise; I am lucky if I get six hours of sleep on school nights!

We've been trying to do a better job with both kids' bedtime, so that Darren and I can have some free time in the evening to spend a few minutes picking up, then relaxing before bed. Zach isn't that difficult at night; he does request that someone snuggle in bed with him, and that is Darren's job. We have been trying to train Zoe to sleep in her own room, but getting her to sleep at night is not fun. She usually has a bottle and passes out around 10:30, and has been getting up around 1:30 to eat. I put her in our bed after that bottle, and she will sleep until 6:30. If we don't have anywhere to go in the morning, she will go back to sleep after that until 10 or 10:30. Unfortunately that doesn't work so well on days I have to work!

Mardi Gras is coming up in Louisiana, and it still feels so strange to not be there. We took Zachary to some parades in Lafayette last year, and can't decide if we want to go next weekend or not. The thought of driving four hours after working all day on Friday does not sound appealing, nor does packing up all of the supplies for a baby. We'll see what happens, but I think we will just stay put next weekend. We are really enjoying not having any obligations on the weekend right now, and have been getting a lot done around the house. Who knows, maybe we'll finally start a home improvement project? We have three bathrooms that need work, doorknobs and light fixtures that need replacing, and floors to tile. What fun.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about my career lately, and what direction I want to go in. If you have been reading this blog for a while, I apologize in advance if I repeat myself. I just don't think that teaching is it for me; I am not satisfied, and still think that a career that will make me happy and look forward to work is out there. I could probably afford to quit working altogether in a few years, but that would mean not taking vacations or eating out as often as I want. I enjoy being at home with the kids, but I think I would eventually go stir crazy. I will probably teach for at least one more year, and hopefully complete my childbirth education course during that time. I found a two-day class in San Antonio in May, and am looking forward to that. I really want to work with mothers and babies, but definitely not in a daycare or similar setting. I am thinking about going to nursing school in a couple of years, and even possibly becoming a certified nurse midwife. Right now, I crave new knowledge, and having something to study or research. I need to start looking into programs; surely there is something in the Houston area. I do want to wait until Zoe is a little older, though.

That's about it for now. I have lunches to make, laundry to finish, and a shower to take. Anything I can do to make our mornings run more smoothly right now is fine with me!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:22 PM

    I just caught up on your last couple posts. I had to literally laugh out loud at a few comments ... I'm still waiting to hear about the neighbors' drug habits. Belive me, I'm kicking myself about selling the Wii now that GH3 and Rock Band are out. I'm hoping RB comes out on the iMac in the near future!!! I've thought of a few other non-teaching options for you:
    1. Art Therapist (lots of Woodlands Moms, Autistic groups, pediatric oncolocy, special ed, etc)
    2. Childlife Therapist
    3. Infant Hearing Screener

    More later,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Howdy,

    If you don't make it down to Laffy this weekend, we will miss you! But I can totally understand the need to stay home and get things done, even if it is relaxing to regain your mental sanity. I've considered the option myself, but this is the last year Brice is not in school, so it seems like we should take advantage.

    Hope things improve on your end, and everyone regains their health.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete