Friday, February 01, 2008

It's Carnival Time

I still cannot believe that Mardi Gras is next week, and that we won't be anywhere it is celebrated. It is just a normal workday for me. After nearly 8 years, it's less painful, but still an experience that I'd like to share with my kids. I haven't pulled out the CDs of Mardi Gras music this year, and have only had king cake once. Since it's so early this year, it's hard to get in the mood. We contemplated going to Lafayette this weekend and catching some parades, but the thought of loading up the kids, and all of their required equipment, after working all day, and driving four hours just doesn't sound appealing. Growing up, it was my second favorite holiday, after Halloween. It was so much fun to go to all of the parades, yell at the riders on the floats, catch tons of beads, then go home and sort them into different colors. I have garbage cans full of beads in my attic, I guess in case there ever is an emergency.

Darren and I lived in New Orleans one year, on the Metairie parade route, and had a blast at all the parades. We've been to the Orpheus ball twice, and have also been to a gay ball in Lafayette. Growing up, I was always so jealous of the kids who were in the krewes. They got to dress up in elaborate costumes, participate in the balls, and ride in the parade. We didn't have enough money for that kind of thing, though I went to school with all of the rich kids. I'm over it now, though.

Besides not going to Mardi Gras, nothing too terribly exciting has happened here in the past week. We discovered that Zoe's fussiness was due to a double ear infection. I took her for her 4-month check-up Tuesday, and she couldn't have her shots due to the 100.6 fever that she had. I'm glad we went; I don't know if we would have caught it so soon. Zoe now weighs 15 pounds, 7 ounces, and is 25 3/4 inches long. She is very into doing things with her tongue right now; she sticks it out, and also blows raspberries. It's really cute! She is cooing like crazy, and laughs a lot. I love this age! She's not rolling over yet, which is fine with me. She also gets excited when she sees one of us, and loves to watch her big brother perform.

Zachary is doing great as well. We finally solved his homework issues this week. It was taking forever to get him to sit at the table and finish his homework. He'd take multiple bathroom breaks, need a drink or snack, roll around on the floor under the table, and run upstairs to play in the middle of homework. Let me tell you, that is not what Mommy is prepared to deal with after teaching all day, and while trying to take care of the baby, cook dinner, or just relax. We finally figured out that setting a timer and rewarding him for finishing assignments quickly works. He's earning stars in his homework folder for these things, and when he gets 50, we'll buy him a Leapster game. He's very into music right now, listening to his Jonas Brothers CD constantly and singing along. Of course, lining up cars is still a favorite pastime.

Darren and I don't seem to get a whole lot of time to talk anymore. He gets home, we eat dinner, then sit down and watch TV. He gets Zach ready for bed, reads to him, and lies down with him. I take care of Zoe in the evening, then she and I go to bed while Darren continues to watch TV. Exciting, we are not! We do have a babysitter tomorrow night so that he and I can go and see his friend's band. I'm looking forward to it. I miss having conversations with Darren about things other than kids and design. He wants to talk politics, and I have no interest in it whatsoever.

As far as me, this time of year makes me feel so blah. We're in the middle of a huge project in school that I hate, but the parents love, so I have to grin and bear it. I think that's why I hate this time of year so much. I have to teach kids how to do research, outline, and write a research paper, in the span of 10 weeks. Then, I have to make sure they don't lose their information in the middle of the project, and that they keep up. I care way too much for my own good, calling and e-mailing parents, and spending excessive amounts of time re-teaching the project. If only I didn't care so much...

I went back to the doctor Wednesday, after being concerned about the bubbling in my chest when I exhale. It turns out that I have a sinus infection that settled in my chest and caused bronchitis. I now have an inhaler, antibiotics, and steroid pills to take. We're all worried about me on the steroids; the last time I took them, I became a crazy person. I was angry all of the time, and would scream at Darren. I am hoping if I recognize it this time, it won't be so bad. Ask Darren next week if we're still married!

We are planning to start remodeling our downstairs bathroom this weekend, and I can't wait! We've lived here for four years, and haven't done a major project beside the nursery in at least two years. My half bath is not representative of my taste in any way, and I am embarrassed when guests go to use it. We are planning to rip down the wallpaper and paint, (probably texture), rip out the peel and stick tiles and put ceramic tile, replace the light fixture and countertop, and I guess put knobs on the vanity. There really isn't room for more than one person in the room at a time, so I am not sure how we are going to both work on it. I guess we'll tag team, with me spending most of the time taking care of Zoe and doing laundry. I can't wait to see how it turns out! We got an escrow refund check this week, so I think we may finally have our living room, entry, and upstairs and downstairs hallways painted. Maybe the woodwork, too. It seems like every time we get money for this, one of the cars finds out and suddenly needs repairs equaling the money that we get. Coincidence or not?

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment