Sunday, September 28, 2008

Feeling Nostalgic

September 28, 2007
September 28, 2008

I cannot believe that it has already been a year since Zoe came into our lives! So many things have happened in the past year; not all of them good, but I am happier than I have been in a long time, and don't feel like I am carrying the weight of the world anymore.


I am still amazed that I have this wonderful little girl to share my life with. Zachary is awesome too, but there is a special bond between a mother and her daughter. I now have someone who can relate to me, and who will be honored to receive my cherished possessions, and the scrapbooks of our lives that I hope to someday complete. Because of having Zoe, I am now pursuing a career that I would have never imagined being interested in.

It's incredibly hard work being back in school, and we are all having to make sacrifices because of it, and because of me quitting my job, but I am confident that it will all be worth it in the end. I am able to spend more time with my kids than I ever thought I would, and I think we will have a better relationship because of it. Yes, things are incredibly tight financially, and some days I wonder if we will be able to make it, but I know that I made the right decision to quit teaching. I am sure I am a much nicer person to be around now.


I look back at the past year, and am amazed at everything we have been through as a family. I have had two surgeries, Darren totaled his car, Darren lost two of his aunts, we've been through a major hurricane, and I made a major career change. On the positive side, we've done a lot of fun things together, Zachary was able to go on vacation with just my dad, my sister had an adorable baby boy, we were able to spend Labor Day weekend with family (because of Gustav) and I was able to take the kids and spend a week with my parents in the middle of a semester (thanks to Ike).

Post-hurricane, I would say our lives are getting back to normal. Our fridge is a lot barer than it was before the storm, and that is due to our newfound frugality. When I was still working full-time, we wouldn't have hesitated to go to the grocery store and fill it up. Now, we shop for necessities only. I wouldn't say we're missing out on anything, though. I go back to work tomorrow after a two-week break, and it will be like the first day of school all over again. There are some areas here that are still without power, and that is such a foreign concept to me.

Darren's dad in Galveston was able to move back into his house Friday. They have power, sewage, and water. They lost a few roof tiles and window panes, and their downstairs air conditioning unit was submerged. Their house survived the 1900 storm, and this time, water came within two steps of their front porch. They are truly lucky, considering they live 5 blocks from the sea wall! Darren's dad is back at work at NASA, and I think his step-mom won't return to work for a couple more weeks. She works at UTMB, and they had some damage.


Darren is going to continue working from home for a while. It's hard leaving him alone during the day, but now that I am going back to work tomorrow, he'll have his peace and quiet. We are saving so much money on gas, tolls, and lunches, and don't have to wait until 6:30 anymore for him to be home. It will be strange when he goes back to leaving every day.


I have my first test in anatomy and physiology 2 tomorrow. We have had four days to take it, and I am waiting until the last day. I have to make an A this semester to get into nursing school, and I have found that I can't study for much more than an hour at a time without totally daydreaming. We watched the Amazing Race tonight, and now it's time to hit the books!



No comments:

Post a Comment