Thursday, September 11, 2008


Darren and I decided that we are not evacuating for Ike. The only reason why I would leave would be if we were without power for a few days. In that, case, I will go to my parents' in Louisiana. I can't tolerate the heat, especially with my thyroid condition. Besides, I get really angry, and I don't think anyone would want to be near me.

Anyway, I've done a couple of things to prepare. After going to three different gas stations with ridiculous lines, I managed to fill my car up. The gas station attached to our grocery store probably had a 30-minute wait for a pump. After fighting for a parking spot, I walked into the store and saw the endless lines of people waiting to check out. I walked farther into the store and saw that there was no bread. There were people coming from all directions, and at that point, I decided that it just was not worth it to stay there. I left there, filled up my car, and drove past another grocery store to see how crowded it was. It looked pretty bad, so I went to CVS and stocked up on can goods, crackers, peanut butter, water, trash bags, and toilet paper. We're fine on diapers and formula, and like I said, I have no intention of staying here for several days if we lose power.

Zachary's school is canceled tomorrow, and Darren's dad may evacuate here. My school is closed tomorrow, and I am debating on whether or not to go to class today. I don't want to burn the gas to go to campus and back, and I suspect there won't be many people in attendance anyway. I have about 40 minutes to decide what to do.

Darren is going to hopefully leave work early today. I am afraid that his commute is going to take him several hours; I think it took him 4 for Rita three years ago. We were supposed to have Open House at Zachary's school tonight, and I was going to have a table set up with information for Cub Scouts. I guess we'll have to figure out what to do to change that. I have all sorts of flyers printed up, inviting potential new Scouts to our pack meeting next Thursday. That date is set with our host church, so it can't be changed. Maybe we'll have to invite people for the one in October, but that is the night before our district camping trip, and new members would probably like to attend that. Giving them one day's notice wouldn't be fair, though. I am sure this decision is up to me, but input from other members of the pack would be wonderful. I doubt that will happen, though.

I'll post as much as I can for the next few days. Even if we do lose power, I have an iPhone now, so I should still have internet access. I've heard that text messaging is the best form of communication during a power outage, so I am sure we will be taking advantage of that. Be safe!


  1. Anonymous4:40 PM

    Stay safe, and if you need to come way north to DFW, let us know!


  2. Thanks for the offer. I hope we don't have to take you up on it!